Thank you for your willingness to serve God’s children by teaching English. Your knowledge, preparation, enthusiasm, and encouragement will be a great blessing to those you teach.
Your responsibility as an instructor for EnglishConnect 1 and 2 is to provide an environment where learners can act in faith to accomplish their English learning goals. Follow the steps below to prepare and improve.
Step 1: Download and Read Instructor’s Guidelines
Click here to download and read the instructor’s manual and the EnglishConnect Instructor Manual Addendum.
Note: If you have minors in your class, you must print, distribute, and collect the signed consent forms and deliver the forms to the local bishop or branch president. Click here to download the parental consent form.
If you have not received a printed manual, contact your self-reliance specialist or mission leader to receive your manual. You may also click here to order a printed manual.
Step 2: Complete Instructor Training
- Click here to access the instructor training resources on the Instructor Training page of this website.
Step 3: Complete Course Checklists
- Distribute the learner manuals. Contact the self-reliance specialist or mission leader to receive the learner manuals.
- Collect a signed parental consent form for all minors (18 years and younger living at home). Deliver signed forms to the bishop or branch president.
- Click here to download and print the parental consent form.
- Start EnglishConnect classes and assign class presidents (see information in Instructor Manual).
- Register learners. Use the online Self-Reliance Services registration tool at srs.lds.org/register. At the beginning of class, provide participants with a copy of the Global Privacy Notice (available at https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/privacy-policy). Note: Do not register minors in the online group until they have submitted a signed parental consent form.
- Encourage learners to access online practice resources at englishconnect.lds.org/learners.
- Encourage learners to find a speaking partner and practice during the week (same age and sex; minors work with parents to find family member or friend).
Distribute participation certificates during the last class. Complete the end of group report at srs.lds.org/register. Create a certificate for each person who consistently attended the classes. Certificates are available at englishconnect.lds.org/leaders.
Note: This is just a participation recognition. EnglishConnect 1 and 2 are not certified courses and do not award university credits.